Saturday 4 July 2009

I’m a new mum…Help!!


Ok, so you have arrived home with your precious little bundle and you are filled with an overwhelming multitude of emotions! Mum’s I know the feeling, I’ve had 6 little bundles of my own!!!

So how do you cope with adjusting to becoming a new mum and the reality of sleep deprivation?

Here’s a ‘Sweet Dreamers Mini Guide’ to help you on your way:

First and foremost, you just want to ENJOY the moment. There is absolutely no point in worrying about ANYTHING in the house, just spend this special time bonding with your baby. Try to sleep when your baby sleeps… I know it’s hard, because if you’re anything like I was, you want to try to get back to normal as soon as you possibly can, but hey, please DON’T, just go at your own pace. And really do take the opportunity to SLEEP WHENEVER YOU POSSIBLY CAN. There is so much to be said for allowing yourself to recharge your batteries, there’s plenty of time to get on top of that boring household stuff and at the end of the day, who really cares?

Make the most of this special time bonding with your baby. You have a whole lifetime to worry about whether your house looks up together and if friends or family pop round and you really don’t feel up to it, get your partner, or whoever is on hand, to say that you’re asleep and can they arrange a convenient time to pop round again? DON’T FEEL GUILTY and don’t be too eager to return to normal, this is a big mistake, as lack of sleep plus the general exhaustion can catch up on you when you’re least expecting it.

Watch out for the
baby blues, these can kick in at any time, but normally around day 3 or so after your baby has been born. Don’t worry, it’s perfectly normal to hit the depths of despair and these low feelings often rapidly disappear as quickly as they arrived. I found myself randomly crying over the least little thing after I’d had my first child. He developed severe jaundice and had to go under one of those big ‘sunlamps’ in hospital, so I wasn’t allowed to take him home or even go near him. I really felt like the odd one out on the maternity ward, as all the other mums had their babies beside them in a crib, on hand to cuddle whenever they got the urge. Not great at all and for a first time mum it was really upsetting… but, boy was I on a high when I finally got to take him home! If you feel yourself feeling low, try to take a bit of time out for yourself, focus on the positive things in your life right now.. your fabulous new baby, the fact that you are going to be a magnificent mum, the great family and friends you have in your life (or whatever puts you in a ‘happy place’) and it won’t be long ‘til you begin to start feeling more positive. However, if the feelings of depression are prolonged and go on for more than a couple of weeks, then please do seek medical advice as you could be suffering from postnatal depression.

Don’t feel embarrassed about calling for medical advice on any issue that may be causing you concern, either for you or your baby. It’s better to be safe than sorry. After I had my third child, I suffered dreadfully with mastitis when my milk came in and could barely sleep because of the pain. My doctor quickly prescribed me something and I wondered why I hadn’t called on her before… crazy eh? I guess I thought I could just put up with the pain and it would die down by itself. If this happens to you, DON’T do what I did, get the doc round ASAP, because it really isn’t worth putting yourself through that sort of pain; get it sorted out quickly and you will rapidly begin to feel 100% better. Then you can devote yourself to getting to know your amazing little one.

This time is so precious and will pass so quickly. Don’t let others take advantage because they see you doing ‘routine’ things and automatically assume you are back to normal. Tell them you are on maternity leave, spending these early days doing ‘new mum’ things.

Look after your HEALTH .Whatever you do, don’t put too many demands on your body, I remember overdoing it with George (# 3) and really paid the price. He was a very big baby for me 9lb 2oz (I’m only 5ft 4in) and was by far the largest baby in my flock. Basically, I assumed I was ‘back to normal’ far too quickly and went into ‘Supermum mode,’ BIG MISTAKE. I spent around two weeks recovering from a sudden bought of exhaustion combined with a viral infection, all because I had done too much too soon.

Finally, try not to become too overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. Just go at your own pace, enjoy the fuss that everyone makes of you and take time to wonder in the miracle of the new little life which is now in your hands.

I hope you have found this helpful and please do stay tuned for more episodes, as I will be covering newborn sleep in greater detail in my next ‘Sweet Dreamers Mini Guide’.

Sweet dreams

Lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment