Monday 15 March 2010

Cry it out - NO WAY BABY!!



Well, here it is again......The controversial topic of controlled crying!

It seems that a 6 year Australian study recommends that doctors and health care workers advise parents to adopt controlled crying - allowing your baby to cry itself to sleep - as a method to beat sleep problems.

They have produced various statistics which show that it appears to work, saying that it does not harm your baby and that this should be reassuring for parents. All I have to say is yes, even though I hate to admit it, I did try this method ONCE with Bradley - I was desperate!! He was so strong willed that he screamed for what seemed like hours (although I'm sure it wasn't that long at all) and eventually vomited all over himself and the cot. I ended up like a complete nervous wreck, convinced I had irrevocably damaged my baby and wondered for weeks whatever had possessed me to inflict this ordeal on my poor defenseless baby. My advice... DON'T DO IT! There are so many other methods out there to encourage a healthy sleep pattern, that resulting to completely distressing your baby to a point where they are distraught, screaming relentlessly and gasping for breath, just isn't one of them.
Anyone out there tried controlled crying?

No comments:

Post a Comment