Tuesday 16 June 2009

And so to bed......

All new parents know that sleepless nights are definitely on the agenda when their little bundle of joy arrives, it goes with the territory. But when they go on night after night, week after week, month after month and in extreme cases, year after year, ‘BOY HELL’ are they a killer?!

With me, Bradley (#6) just plain refused to go off to sleep and it would literally take HOURS for him to settle and when he did ‘give in’ to sleep, he would normally wake up again within two hours max! Combine this with the fact that when he woke up he was full of beans, wasn’t at all hungry, but just wanted to play and I seriously began questioning whether he had been swopped at birth with a baby from a family of insomniacs!! Of course he couldn’t have been as he was a home birth, but yes, I was at the stage when a sale on eBay was imminent!

Now, I was in the fortunate position of knowing that I couldn't have been doing anything wrong. How do I know this? I had already been through the whole baby ‘sleep time routine thing’ with my five older children and they had all slept through beautifully, by around four months, using my tried and tested techniques. So what on earth was happening? Was it some sort of divine retribution for all those years of giving parents a ‘knowing look’ when they announced that they couldn’t get their baby to sleep through the night? Or was someone trying to tell me SIX was enough?!

Well, after around two years of no sleep, an incredibly simple thought suddenly entered my mind; every baby like every person is different! Bradley was a unique individual who had specific ‘sleep needs’ that just weren’t fulfilled by those age old 'tried and tested' methods; he needed something else… but that’s a later post….

So new Mums & Dads take heart, it could very well be that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with what you are doing, it just could be that your baby is, ‘a Bradley’!! One of those babies that needs a ‘sleep cue’ that is specifically linked to their own little unique ‘personality’.

Over the coming months I will be posting a whole host of ideas to help trigger ‘quality’ sleep for your little one and sharing with you my own keys to sleep success, together with revealing the secrets of why easidream® is so effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment